very carefully: 49.05%
only somewhat carefully: 31.79%
not very carefully: 5.10%
2. If you had to name one color as your favorite color - the color you would most like to see stand out in a painting you would consider buying for your home, for example - which color would it be?
Other Colors: 24.73%
3.What color would you say is your second most favorite color?
Other Colors: 23.89%
4.When you choose a painting, a photograph, or an object for your home, do you prefer a traditional or modern style?
5. If you had to choose from the following list, which type of art would you say you prefer?
6. Which of the following statements applies to you more?
When choosing pictures photographs or other art for my home, I
usually try to select pieces that fit into the general decor of my
When choosing pictures photographs or other art for my home, I focus on whether or not I like the piece.: 92.30%
7. And would you say you prefer older objects or newer object to collect or decorate your home?
newer objects: 50.65%
8. Would you say that you prefer seeing paintings of wild animals, like lions, giraffes or deer, or that you prefer seeing paintings of domestic animals, like dogs, cats or other pets?
domestic animals: 15.09%
9. In general, would you rather see paintings of outdoor scenes or would you rather see paintings of indoor scenes?
indoor scenes: 20.46%
10. Which of the following types of outdoor scenes appeals to you most?
paintings of forests:
paintings of lakes, rivers, oceans and seas: 27.42%
paintings of fields and rural scenes: 14.30%
paintings of the city: 35.35%
11. Which season would you most like to see depicted in these paintings?
12. Which of the following types of indoor scenes appeals to you most?
still life paintings of fruit:
still life paintings of flowers: 11.83%
still life paintings of household objects: 22.43%
domestic scenes with people: 50.65%
domestic scenes with animals: 8.46%
13.Do you find that you tend to prefer paintings that are related to religion or those that are not related to religion?
prefer paintings that are related to religion:
prefer paintings that are not related to religion: 82.04%
14. Which of the following statements is closest to your view?
Paintings should ideally serve some higher goal, such as challenging
their viewers to think about art or life in a different way than they
Paintings don't necessarily have to teach us any lessons, but can just be something a person likes to look at.: 51.78%
15.Which of the following statements is closest to your own opinion?
I prefer paintings that are realistic-looking: the more they resemble
a photograph, the better.:
I prefer paintings that are different-looking: if they’re very realistic, I might as well be looking at a photograph.: 81.97%
16. In different-looking paintings, do you prefer the exaggeration of the dimensions or reality of objects we already know, or ones that feature imaginary objects which have no connection to every day life?
exaggerations of objects we know:
imaginary objects: 35.72%
17. Do you prefer seeing bold, stark designs or more playful, whimsical designs?
bold, stark designs:
playful, whimsical designs: 45.12%
18. Do you tend to favor paintings with sharp angles or ones with soft curves?
soft curves: 54.38%
19. Which patterns do you like better: geometric patterns or more random, uneven patterns?
more random patterns: 69.18%
20. Do you like to see expressive brush-strokes on the canvas or do you prefer that the surface of the canvas be smooth, more like a photograph?
prefer seeing brush-strokes:
prefer that canvas look smooth: 22.16%
21. Do you like to see the colors blend into each other or do you like it when different colors are kept apart?
prefer colors blended:
prefer colors kept separate: 39.92%
22. Every color has a wide range of shades. In general, which would you say that you prefer:
more vibrant shades
paler shades: 14.06%
darker shades: 36.69%
23. In general, do you enjoy paintings that have a more serious or a more festive mood?
24. Do you like a painting to be busy and contain a lot of people or objects, or do you like it to be as simple as possible?
25.What size of painting do you prefer?
size of a full wall:
full-size refridgerator: 23.89%
dishwasher size: 29.69%
television size: 15.73%
magazine size: 2.83%
paperback book size: 2.23%
26. Do you generally prefer paintings of famous people or ones of more ordinary people, or does it make no difference to you at all?
ordinary people: 38.59%
makes no difference: 56.28%
27. If the painting is of famous people, do you prefer figures from a long time ago, like Jesus, or more recent figures, like John F. Kennedy or Elvis Presely?
more recent figures: 51.15%
28. If the painting is of ordinary people, do you prefer paintings which are predominantly of children, of women or of men, or doesn't it matter?
doesn't matter: 69.28%
29. Thinking back to the paintings of people that you have like in the past, for the most part were the figures working, at leisure, or were they posed portraits?
at leisure: 40.15%
30. Which do you think you like better, a painting of one person or of a group of people
31. Would you say that you prefer paintings in which the person or people are nude, partially clothed or fully clothed?
partially clothed: 36.82%
fully clothed: 29.82%
32. If you were given the choice of a gift - a sum or money, or a piece of art that you genuinely liked and which was of equal value to the money, which would you choose?
33. Which of the following would be most important to you in deciding how much money you spend on a painting:
the size of the piece:
the fame of the artist: 5.26%
the medium, such as oil paints, water colors or charcoal drawings: 1.73%
the degree to which you like the painting: 85.07%
whether or not you think it will increase in value: 5.23%
34. What is the most amount of money you would consider spending on a piece of art you really like
over $3000: 25.19%
35. Following are the names of some prominent artists of the past and present. For each artist, please indicate if your impressions of that artist’s work are very favorable, favorable, unfavorable, or very unfavorable. Some of these artists are not very well-known, so if you have never heard of someone or don’t know enough about his or her work to have an opinion, just say so.
35a. Pablo Picasso
very favorable: 43.35%
very unfavorable: 2.40%
never heard of : 1.03%
don't know: 0.70%
35b. Jackson Pollock
very favorable: 29.22%
very unfavorable: 4.10%
never heard of : 6.50%
don't know: 9.26%
35c. Salvador Dali
very favorable: 27.06%
very unfavorable: 8.56%
never heard of : 2.33%
don't know: 2.07%
very favorable: 47.48%
very unfavorable: 1.47%
never heard of : 0.97%
don't know: 1.80%
35d. Andy Warhol
very favorable: 28.19%
very unfavorable: 7.26%
never heard of : 1.93%
don't know: 3.27%
35e. Georgia O’Keefe
very favorable: 32.56%
very unfavorable: 3.30%
never heard of : 6.76%
don't know: 9.33%
36. If you could pick one type of person you’d most enjoy having dinner with, would you choose an artist, television or movie actor, an author or a sports star?
television or movie actor: 11.13%
sports star: 4.17%
37. How often, on average, would you say that you go to art museums?
more than two times a year:
one or two times a year: 15.83%
less than once a year: 7.50%
not at all: 1.60%
38. Would you favor or oppose spending more tax money for art?
39. Some works of art are displayed in public places. Do you think that average citizens should or should not have a say in determining which works of art are appropriate to be displayed in public?
should have a say:
should not have a say: 40.55%
40. In which of these categories does your age fall?
65 and over: 1.57%
41. Which of the following corresponds to the level of education you completed?
high school degree: 4.67%
some university: 19.93%
university degree: 71.84%
42. When it comes to most political issues, do you think of yourself as a liberal, a conservative or a moderate? If moderate, do you think of yourself as closer to being liberal or being conservative?
43. Which of the following income categories would you consider yourself a part of:
middle income: 58.31%
upper income: 14.90%